Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Miller beer commercial shot on Super 8??

  1. #1
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've seen the commercial you are talking about and it sure looks like Super-8.

    Although one might call it yucko super-8 because of intentionally poor framing and the grain and hair, what I find interesting is how the audio track sets the tone for the commercial.

    If that audio track had been pre-built, wouldn't it be possible to create our own version of that commercial in Super-8?

    In case any of you missed the following topic post...

    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic&f=405&t=117

    I think it relates to how this commercial might have been created, or how it could easily have been created once the soundtrack was completed.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Watching ESPN last night I saw a Miller commercial that had to be shot on Super 8. It has a black guy grilling 2 steaks holding a Miller beer. I could even see a few hairs/dust and the grain screamed Super 8. I though it looked cool.

    I looked on the Miller website but that commercial was not there for viewing.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member quin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10th, 2002
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well I know Errol Morris was the director for alot of Miller commercials. And I know that his awsome use of super 8mm in some of his movies are awsome so it could have been him. Its his style

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Alex:
    I've seen the commercial you are talking about and it sure looks like Super-8.

    Although one might call it yucko super-8 because of intentionally poor framing and the grain and hair, what I find interesting is how the audio track sets the tone for the commercial.

    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Alex, I've kept the comment above in the back of my mind until I saw this commercial again. Just saw it again and 'yucko' is pretty harsh. I think it looks really great.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The look and framing is very creative, a very knowledgeable and competent Director of Photography made it happen.

    It's just that you rarely see Super-8 looking clear & color when it comes to commericals. I guess they figure if they want the prettiest, msot colorful look possible they'll shoot 35mm.

    Especially if the production is expensive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •